Thursday, February 28, 2008

Christ Changed Me

After that first Bible study I was hooked. At times I have been in 4 or 5 studies at a time. The hunger and thirst I have had to learn about God and Jesus and who I am in them has never stopped. If anything has continued to grow.

I will not tell you that I changed over night. I didn't, the changes in me at first were very subtle. The very first thing I remember giving up was the type of books I read (romance novels). I did not quit reading, just changed the reading material. There are lots of Christian authors, that write really good thrillers, mysteries and even some wonderful love stories.
Bad language started making my hair stand on end. I stopped using bad language. There were some friends that I drifted away from. Did I miss any of those things that changed. Sometimes I did, but there is an enemy out there that will whisper lies, and try to take you back and I did go back once or twice and felt awful afterward. I did question all the time, mostly what would my family and friends would think of me. But wanting to do what God wanted me to do won out. I changed in God's strength not my own. Being in God's grace is the place to be.

Deb

2 comments:

Editor and Publisher Shelly Burke said...

Deb--

Instead of finding that loving God limits me (in my speech, my reading, my friends), I feel that following God's Word FREES me to do absolutely anything I want to, within His guidelines, which I am happy (well, most of the time!) to follow.

Glad to see you posting again!

Debra said...

Shelly,
I don't think God limits me at all.I think he wants us to choose wisely in the friends and company we keep, in the books we read and the movies we watch. I have found if I am around negative people for instance, after a while I start being negative, even when being a positive person. Now, I still run into some of those old friends, but we have nothing in common any more. I witnessed to several of them, but they rejected the message.
God is our strength in our weakness, but sometimes slipping back into some of those old habits, can get our attention away from God and sometimes can pull us in the wrong direction.
I truly do find freedom in God, within his guidelines.
Deb