Saturday, April 19, 2008

Servant

Mark 10:45 " For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and give His life as a ransom for many."

When we look to the scriptures for answers we will find them. Does not the above scripture sum it all up, about being a servant. If we are to try to be like Christ, are we not called to serve?

Now where and how we are called to serve will be different for everyone, but we must serve.

I believe that most of us have no clue about being a servant or serving. Little do we realize that we all serve something or someone. All of us that have "jobs" are a servant to that job. We all are servants to our families. We just don't think of those things as serving. But, we have to look further than that,for example if you are a sports fanatic , you serve that sport by following it. What I am trying to get at is that there is different kinds of serving. Anything we devote our attention to we serve. But, that should not be our only serving. Yes, we (most of us anyway have to work) should be servants in our work. We should be servants to our families. We also need to ask ourselves will what I am serving help prepare me for eternal life. But, when we look at Christ's life of being a servant, (I am sure it looks different than mine.) It was not even so much what he did, but the attitude of his heart when he did it. I know that is where I fail. I may serve, but with a poor attitude, sometimes its only out of obligation, is that how we should serve? Christ was a king and he accepted the position of servant, to serve us, to be an example to us. So, I say we should start serving as Christ would. Open our selves up to being that servant we are called to be. I think we would find many more blessings in our lives if we lived this way.

Since I have been on this quest of service to God my whole attitude about being a servant and being served has changed. After the last two posts I have really looked at serving differently. I am a slow learner. Everything we do here and now is in preparation for our eternal home. As we become the servants that God calls us to be, look in your heart. How do you respond when asked to do something for your church, or school, a sick neighbor? and the list could go on and on. Do you respond with the heart of Christ or the selfish self centered heart.

Being a servant is an attitude toward life and what is in your heart.

No comments: