Sunday, April 6, 2008

Being a Servant

Last time I shared about becoming a servant instead of being served. What comes to mind when you think of the word servant? Do you think of someone that waits on another, someone who is under someone else's rule. Do you look at the word servant as another word for slave? I think many have the slave in mind when the word servant is used. I looked up the definition of the word servant; a person employed to perform services; a person employed by the government(public servant); a person devoted to another or to a cause or creed. A servant is one employed, paid for their services, or devoted to anohter(this one I liked) . Because we can want to serve without expecting anything in return. A slave is owned. Some may say to my last comment that Christ paid for us, bought us with his blood and he did, but God gave us our freedom. Christ paid for our sins, but,we were not purchased as slaves.

When we talk about being a servant for God or serving God, I think there is confusion. I believe some people think that to be a servant of God you have to do most of the things that I mentioned before, get involved in church, bake, cook, give of your time, your money, do all the things that others see are important. Now, don't get me wrong if you do those things, that is not wrong if you are doing them, for the right reasons. If you are doing them because, God wants you to do them. But, if you are doing them, because you feel that it is what is expected of you, because of what others think, then who are you serving.

God, may want you to serve in other ways. I read a story by a young mother, she was trying to be active at church and raise her young family. The more she did at church the more she was asked to do. She had a hard time saying no to anything that was asked of her. The more she did of course the less time she had with her family. One day she realized she could not add one more thing to her already busy life, she sank to her knees and asked God what he wanted from her. He said, "Raise your family, teach your children about me, that is what I want from you. It is okay to say no, to the church activities. " When your kids are raised, then you will have time to do other things. She had a peace of mind she hadn't had for a long time. She removed herself from all the committees. She still taught Sunday, but devoted her time to raising her family. Guilt free.
I think there are so many of us out there, that do things because others expect us to do them. We are not doing them because God has told us to or asked us to. Being a servant doesn't mean you are a slave. Do not let what others think, say or do be the reason for doing something. Do what God asks of you. You will know if it is from God. This of course is not always easy to do. Always go to God first. Talk to him. He will let you know. I did so many of the things I did, because I felt it was expected of me. I heard what some of the "church people" said about others, that they felt didn't pull their weight at church, I didn't want them to talk about me. When serving God we (I) cannot let what others think or say, be our (my) influence. Remember it is God to whom you will answer to. Now I still get wrapped up sometimes in what others want from me, or what they have to say. But, more and more I am more aware of what God wants and that is whom I serve. When we serve God, we will be serving others. In all we do we should be giving God all the glory. I know I can do nothing, but what God does through me. God has called me to do things I never thought I could, but I know he works through our(my) weaknesses.

I serve God of my own free will. A free will God gave me. God does not call us to be slaves. He asks us to serve him, he does not demand. I bring this all up, because I do believe that some people confuse being a servant with being a slave, God does not call us to be slaves. So, some chose not to serve at all, some serve for their own glory and there are those that are serving God for the sake of serving God for his glory.

So, I say serve God as God asks you, not as man says you should.

3 comments:

WaynO said...

Deb, I need more of being a servant. Got a new project that will be alot about that. If you have other stuff would appreciate it. WaynO

Cindy said...

Deb, i really like the observations you make here about servanthood. you're so right that we often simply don't know the difference between what people at church want from us and what God wants from us. I make make a challenge to our pastor to preach about the difference between the two. It will be interesting to see how he handles it, since, of course, Pastors can intentionally or not often be the worse offenders in this.

Editor and Publisher Shelly Burke said...

Deb--I think sometimes it's hard for women and moms to remember it's OK to say "NO"! But sometimes very, very necessary. You give great advice in saying we should talk to God about requests that have been made of us, and ask what He would have us to do!